Presidential Cookie Recipes...scrumdidlyumptious!
10/4/2012 7:29:00 AM
With the Presidential election looming, Family Circle has hosted their traditional Presidential Cookie Bake-Off! They have held this contest since 1992, with the winner of the contest predicting the results of the Presidential election 4 out of the 5 times. This year Michelle Obama's Dark and White Chocolate Chip Cookies won the contest, but Ann Romney's M&M's Cookies took a very close second...Regardless of the political predictions, at this point I am just excited to try these recipes! (Let me know if you try them!) Here they are:
Michelle Obama's White and Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 stick Crisco butter-flavored solid vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup each white chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips and mint chocolate chips (or Andes mint pieces)
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter, vegetable shortening, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract.
2. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. On low speed, beat in flour mixture. By hand, stir in white and milk chocolate chips, mint chips and walnuts.
3. Drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Ann Romney's M&M's Cookies
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup (such as Karo)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 6 ounces chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup M&M's candies
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, cream sugars, butter, peanut butter and corn syrup on high speed until well combined. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Beat in vanilla extract.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together oats and baking soda. Stir into peanut butter mixture until combined. Mix in chocolate chips and M&M's.
3. Using a standard-size ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheets (about 9 per sheet). Bake at 325 degrees F for 18 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.