THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW 11/06/12
11/6/2012 5:49:00 AM
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- It was going to be sold at a charity auction next year. But instead, Amy Winehouse's wedding dress has been stolen from the late singer's former home in north London.
- Make that a total of three programs the USA network has cut from their lineup: "Fairly Legal," "Common Law" and "Political Animals."
- Apparently the new Mr. and Mrs. Justin Timberlake went to Tanzania for their honeymoon.
- In the 18 presidential elections that have taken place since the Redskins moved to Washington in 1937, if the Redskins won the last home game before the election, the incumbent won. If they lost, the incumbent lost. This theory has been right 17 out of 18 times. And, for the record, they lost on Sunday.
- No official confirmation, but Microsoft is said to secretly be testing their own Smartphones.
- In a revealing new interview with Barbara Walters, Kirstie Alley admits her former co-star and friend John Travolta was "the greatest love of my life."
- Sharon Osbourne has had a double mastectomy after learning she carries a gene that increases the risk of developing breast cancer.
- Beverly Mitchell and her husband, Michael Cameron, have announced they've got a baby on the way, due in April.
- Keep out that costume -- Heidi Klum has re-scheduled her annual Halloween party, the one she had to cancel because of Superstorm Sandy, for December 1st.
- HELP SANDY VICTIMS WITH AMAZON WEDDING REGISTRY _Editor: This is a quick, topical post for your blog and Facebook. In the wake of Hurricane Sandy, many are looking for ways to donate supplies to the victims throughout New York and New Jersey. Thanks to a trio from Brooklyn, there's an virtual wish list for donations. John Heggestuen, Alex Nordenson, and Katherine Dolan are not getting married, but they're taking advantage of Amazon's Wedding Registry to create a shopping list for specific items needed at a local relief outpost. The three are in touch with the Occupy Sandy team who will receive the shipped items and organize daily deliveries to priority response areas. They update the registry as they get updates on what is needed most in affected areas.
... Occupy Sandy's Wedding Registry: http://amzn.to/U5atnp
... Occupy Sandy New Jersey's Wedding Registry: http://amzn.to/Tt70OP
- Did you hear about the guy who climbed the Chicago skyscraper with a bionic leg? [Big deal. I once went all the way to the top of a skyscraper in an elevator with a stranger who talked non-stop about his colonoscopy.]
- MAN NEARLY BLOWS HIMSELF UP_ Police in Russia are investigating an explosion that injured a man. A neighbor said the man apparently lost a considerable part of his right arm after tripping a booby trap he'd set in his home to catch burglars. Another neighbor said the man rigged his home with booby traps of gun powder and water pipes after being burglarized two years ago.
- PERUVIAN SHAMANS PREDICT OBAMA REELECTION _ Twelve Peruvian mystics predicted Monday that President Obama would win reelection. During the ceremony, a poster of Mitt Romney was attacked with a sword while a poster of Obama was rubbed with flowers. The shamans correctly predicted Obama would win in 2008, so you know their science is solid.
- A recent poll asked who the next president on Mt. Rushmore should be? The choices were John F. Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Barack Obama, Dwight Eisenhower, Andrew Jackson and Lyndon Johnson. Kennedy got the most votes, followed by Reagan.
- You know those people who say they're moving to Canada if the election doesn't go the way they want? It's not that easy. You have to apply for their equivalent of a green card by showing you can add economic value to the country. And you have to be fairly healthy, since their government doesn't want to pay for your health care if you're really sick.
- Did you know two states still ban alcohol sales on Election Day? People in Kentucky and South Carolina can't buy booze today.
- Out of 169 countries that have free elections, the U.S. ranks 120th in voter turnout. We get around 60%. Experts say the big reasons are that we have elections TOO OFTEN so people don't feel like their votes are that big of a deal . . . and because we don't FINE people for not voting like Australia and Argentina do.
- Since Superstorm Sandy hit, HUNDREDS of members of the National Guard and military have been in New York doing relief work. They've been staying at the Lexington Armory in Manhattan. But they were just KICKED OUT . . . to make room for a Victoria's Secret fashion show. They're being jammed into hotel rooms, five to 10 people to a room, until the show is over and they can go back on Thursday.
- Check out TheManMedals.com. So when your husband changes the toilet paper roll and brags about it, instead of saying, "What, do you want a medal for that?" . . . you can give him an actual little medal. They sell for $5.
- NEW ON DVD TODAY _ The Amazing Spider-Man (Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone)
Arthur Christmas;The Muppet Christmas Carol 20th Anniversary Edition; Prep & Landing: Totally Tinsel Collection; Law & Order: The Eleventh Year;Entourage: The Complete Series