THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW TUES 11/'09/12
10/9/2012 5:49:00 AM
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Canada is commemorating the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812, portraying the war as the time when America invaded Canada. A commercial airing says that "Our territory was invaded, but we won the war for Canada." Which, by the way, wasn't even a country yet. We were fighting the British, right?
- The vice-presidential candidates debate Thursday night.
- The FBI and the L.A. Police are investigating a package that was delivered to Bristol Palin last week on the set of "Dancing with the Stars." It contained a white powder and a note, demanding Bristol be removed from the show... or else.
- Fox has picked up freshman comedies The Mindy Project and Ben and Kate for full seasons.
- Actress Mila Kunis is appearing topless on the cover of Esquire after the magazine crowned her the sexiest woman alive. The "Black Swan" beauty, 29, appears on the cover for the men's publication's upcoming November issue.
- David Cross and Amber Tamblyn were married over the weekend. They've been engaged for over a year. He's 48, she's 29. First marriage for both.
- "Taken 2" should have been called "Taken 50." That's how many million it made over the weekend as the country's #1 movie.
- Red Bull is trying flavors -- lime, blueberry and cranberry.
- First Justin Bieber hurled on stage. Now we hear that Lady Gaga did the same last weekend at a concert in Spain.
- TODAY IS _ Fire Prevention Day (part of Fire Prevention Week)
- FACEBOOK WILL ADD 'WANT' BUTTON _ Facebook is getting a "Want" button. Facebook has joined forces with seven retailers -- including Pottery Barn, Victoria Secret, and Neiman Marcus -- to test the platform which allows users to "want," "collect," or "like" a product.
- A QVC host lost consciousness on air but the co-host kept selling. [And yet the NFL stops play for those silly little concussions.]
- ANGRY BIRDS STAR WARS IS CONFIRMED, LANDING NOVEMBER 8 _ After a not-so-subtle teaser on Friday, Rovio has officially confirmed Angry Birds Star Wars. The news was announced officially Monday. The game will be available November 8.
- NEW ON DVD TODAY
- Rock of Ages (Tom Cruise, Julianne Hough, Russell Brand, Alec Baldwin, Paul Giamatti)
- The Raven (John Cusack)
- Prometheus (Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, Guy Pearce)
- The Cottage (David Arquette)
- E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (Anniversary Blu-ray)
- Little Shop of Horrors: Director's Cut
- The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour (on Blu-ray)
- Red Dawn on Blu-ray (Charlie Sheen, Patrick Swayze)
- Bones: The Complete Seventh Season
- Whitney: Season One
- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: The Complete Season 7
- WOMEN LOVE RED _ So this is how Bill Clinton works his magic. It turns out a guy with a red nose and rosy glow signals perceived aggression, dominance, and attractiveness to women. In a study, a bunch of women were asked to use a computer to change the color of male faces to make them more attractive, and most of them went for more reddish glow. Keep in mind, this was skin tone and not hair.
- EDGE-OF-SPACE SKYDIVE HAPPENS TODAY (TUESDAY) _ Austrian skydiver and BASE jumper Felix Baumgartner will attempt to break the world record this morning (Tuesday) for highest altitude human free fall when he dives from 22 miles high -- close to the edge of the Earth's stratosphere. The jump, part of the Red Bull Stratos mission, will be broadcast live online. High winds Monday bumped the event.
- Sure, war and famine are terrible . . . if you live in the Third World. But what about the irritating things we have to deal with here in the so-called 'First World'? According to a UNICEF survey, the four biggest "first-world problems" are slow internet access, not being able to find something at the grocery store, bad-tasting fruit, and bad haircuts.
- In 1987, two friends in New York started buying lottery tickets together. For 25 years they've never won. Last month, one of them bought their tickets and also got two free extra tickets in a promotion. And, of course, one of those free tickets was a WINNER. The men are splitting a $14 MILLION jackpot.