THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW THURS 8/16/12
8/16/2012 5:54:00 AM
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Sheryl Crow has been granted a 3-year restraining order from a guy who has threatened to kill her. That seems like a good reason.
- will.i.am's custom Delorean was stolen while he was at his album launch party in Hollywood.
- Bobby Brown is in rehab. Not sure why, but tabloids are saying for alcohol dependency.
- Jennifer Aniston was on the outs with her mom when she married Brad Pitt back in 2000, so she wasn't invited to their wedding. Now that she's engaged to Justin Theroux, her mom was gotten the word -- she'll be invited to this one.
- The actor who played Arnold Horshack on the old TV series, "Welcome Back, Kotter" -- Ron Palillo -- was found dead of a heart attack in Florida. He was only 63.
- A Scrabble player in the World Championships in Florida has been kicked out for the first time for cheating -- after they caught the person hiding extra blank tiles.
- Chelsea Clinton says she has no current plans, but she won't rule out running for office one day.
- Martin Sheen -- Charlie's Dad -- will guest star on his son's new show, "Anger Management" tonight.
- For whatever reason, Jean-Claude Van Damme is confessing that 20 years ago, he cheated on his then-wife Darcy LaPier with singer Kylie Minogue.
- William Shatner is back in a new Priceline TV commercial. Turns out he didn't really die in that bus crash.
- Taylor Swift's next album, "Red," comes out October 22.
- Sales for dog treadmills are up, go figure.
- In Arizona, a guy sat on his loaded gun in a theater showing "The Bourne Legacy" and shot himself in the butt.
- INDIANA JONES TO GET IMAX RELEASE _ Thirty-one years after it hit theaters, Raiders of the Lost Ark is coming to IMAX for one week only. Steven Spielberg says the film has been converted and its sound enhanced for IMAX, but no effects have been changed. Raiders will open in IMAX theaters on September 7. Then it hits Blu-ray on September 18.
- America's Got Talent is back for another season. [But the first show was a letdown. The entire episode was Paul Ryan doing pushups.]
- DOMINO'S WANTS ULTIMATE PIZZA-DELIVERY VEHICLE _ Domino's is partnering with auto manufacturer Local Motors and its online community of car designers to commission a design for the ultimate pizza-delivery vehicle. Anyone can submit a design at localmotors.com/dominos. There are several design competitions, including exterior, packaging, interior and surfacing. Domino's will shell out more than $50,000 in prizes for the best ideas.
- TV TONIGHT _ THE NEXT (9p ET, CW) -- In this new singing competition, four stars from different areas of the music industry (Gloria Estefan, Nelly, Joe Jonas and John Rich) visit six different cities, choose a local singer and have 72 hours to prepare them for a competition. The winner of each local competition will go on to the finals to be filmed in Los Angeles.
- MICHAEL J. FOX PLOTS TV COMEBACK _ Michael J. Fox is ready to go back to acting on television full time. The Family Ties and Back to the Future star is working on a comedy project inspired by his life. Fox is teaming with Arrested Development and Cougar Town writer Sam Laybourne for the show.
- According to a new survey, the average couple has their first kiss after two dates. And since the average couple goes on two dates a week, that means they kiss one week in. They have sex after four dates . . . or just two weeks. After six dates, couples will introduce each other to their friends . . . and they introduce each other to their parents after 12 dates. After 14 dates . . . or seven weeks in . . . they say, "I love you."
- A new survey ranked the top three dating turn-offs for men and women . . . and they STRONGLY focus on what's coming out of your mouth. The top three turn-offs for women are bad breath, body odor, and smoking. The top three turn-offs for men are smoking, nagging, and bad breath.
- A blogger took each of the 50 states, and decided to see how Google completed the search phrase, quote, "Why is (state name) so . . ." She found that Google autocomplete is big on stereotypes. It gave her: Why is California so liberal . . . Why is Florida so weird . . . Why is New Jersey so bad . . . Why is Alabama so racist . . . and Why is West Virginia so poor. (I googled “Why is Wisconsin.. and the #9 entry was “Why is Wisconsin So stupid!”… #1 was “Why is Wisconsin Called the Badger State?”)
- There's a restaurant in L.A. that's sick of people sitting at dinner and texting instead of talking to each other. So they're offering customers a 5% discount to leave their cell phones at the door. So far, about half of their customers have taken the deal.
- A 43-year-old Navy sub commander has lost his post, after the Navy learned he just MIGHT not have the most levelheaded decision-making skills. Turns out the guy was just involved in an AFFAIR with a 23-year-old woman, and ended it by FAKING HIS OWN DEATH. The woman quickly figured out what happened, and told the Navy. They demoted him last Friday.