HOW TO OBSERVE MEMORIAL DAY
This information is from the USMemorialDay web site from their page on "How To Observe Memorial Day."
We share some of observance guidelines so more citizens will become familiar with the proper way to observe this holiday when we remember and honor "our ancestors, our family members, our loved ones, our neighbors, and our friends who have given the ultimate sacrifice". Please visit www.USMemorialDay.com for a wealth of information about this important day of remembrance. Memorial Day should be observed:
- By visiting cemeteries and placing flags or flowers on the graves of our fallen heroes.
- By visiting memorials.
- By flying the U.S. Flag at half-staff until noon.
- By flying the 'POW/MIA Flag' as well (Section 1082 of the 1998 Defense Authorization Act).
- By participating in a "National Moment of Remembrance": at 3pm to pause and think upon the true meaning of the day, and for Taps to be played.
- By renewing a pledge to aid the widows, widowers, and orphans of our fallen dead, and to aid the disabled veterans.