Men's Health lists eight situations: Should you shut up or squeal?
- A friend is really bad at his job, and it's obvious he'll be fired -- Squeal! A good friend would tell him, "Dude, I'm hearing things. You'd better talk to the boss." An okay guy deserves a heads-up.
- When drinking, your buddy turns into a jerk. -- Shut up! At first. The next time he hits his limit, leave. He'll give you crap after he sobers up, and you can give him crap right back.
- You're undercharged $100 for something -- Squeal! Come on, you're just asking to be hit by a karma delivery truck.
- Your buddy is financially irresponsible, in debt, and not saving for retirement -- Shut up! No man should ever speak to another about how he spends his money. If your bud ask to borrow 10 grand, however, the gloves come off.
- A co-worker's padding his expenses -- Shut up! He's a sleaze, sure. But it's his sleazy business, and if you turn in clean receipts, some bean counter will eventually compare and catch on. Smile then.
- In a beer-fueled act of lunacy, you kiss your best friend's girl -- Shut up! Except to apologize to her and pry it's never discussed again.
- You hook up two friends. She's into it, but he's cheating on her -- Squeal! To him. "She's my friend, just like you are," you should say. "If you can't do right by her, cut her loose."
- The guy at the body shop offers to up his estimate for the insurance company and says you can split the difference -- Squeal! Say, "No, thanks. Let's play it straight up." The karma delivery truck hits newly repaired cars, too.